Renewal of a student licence is available for those who are:
- enrolled in a recognized midwifery education program
- enrolled in an approved assessment process
- Applicants enrolled in a recognized midwifery education program must arrange for verification of enrollment and student status to be sent from the midwifery education program, directly to the SCM.
- Applicants completing an approved assessment process must provide evidence of enrolment in the process, sent directly from the assessment processing agency to the SCM.
- The applicant must complete all SCM application forms.
- Please note that renewal of your midwifery licence will be delayed as a result of not submitting required documentation with your application.
- It is important that you keep the SCM informed of any changes to your contact information.
- If you change your name any time after your licence has been issued, you must notify the SCM within 30 days of the change.
- Personal contact information is used by the SCM for direct contact with members and is not released to third parties without consent. The SCM maintains a register of members that is accessible to the public upon request and includes the name, address, registration number, and category of each member.
- Certification in neonatal resuscitation (NRP), including intubation, is required annually in accordance with SCM policy. The National Guidelines for Neonatal Resuscitation (Canadian Paediatric Society) at the level of “Advanced” is the accepted standard of performance. You must submit, with your application form, proof of current certification in NRP completed within the previous 12 months. Or, if you are an NRP instructor, you may submit proof of your instructor status and proof of having taught a minimum of one class in the previous 12 months.
- Certification in adult and infant cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is required annually in accordance with SCM policy. The minimum required standard of performance is achieved through the successful completion of a program that complies with the guidelines of the Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Course (Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada) or at the level of Health Care Provider (HSP) as described by other agencies that offer courses in CPR. You must submit, with your application form, proof of certification in CRP within the previous 12 months. Or, if you are a CPR instructor, you may submit proof of your instructor status and proof of having taught a minimum of one class in the previous 12 months.
- Proof of current obstetrical emergency skills required once in the last two years in accordance with SCM policy.
- Applicants must provide evidence of professional liability insurance coverage prior to practising as a Student Midwife. This coverage is typically provided by the educational institution/assessment process in which the applicant is enrolled.
- Evidence of Liability Insurance Policy
One of the last steps to completing the licence renewal process is the submission of the licence fee. These fees are subject to change.
SCM licence year is January 1 – December 31.
NOTE: The authority to review and approve/deny applications for renewal of a student licence with the Saskatchewan College of Midwives is delegated to the Registrar by the Council, as provided for in Section 21(1) of The Midwifery Act.
An applicant may request Council to review a decision of the Registrar by sending a written notice outlining the grounds on which the review is requested within 30 days after the Registrar’s decision. The Council can revise or confirm the Registrar’s decision and the applicant is entitled to make personal representations to Council if they wish. Decisions of the Council are final and binding and there is no appeal from them.